Despite the rumors that he’d deliver a commencement speech in 140 characters, would twitter while speaking, or might possibly sport a blue feathered cap and gown, Wellesley native and Twitter co-founder Biz Stone took the stage at Babson College and delivered an honest, bird’s eye view of the business of success.
Stone grew up thinking that one day he’d go to Babson and learn first-hand about the challenges of entrepreneurship. Instead an interest in the arts, a summer internship, and the ability to create opportunity when you have the chance, propelled Stone into a series of mentoring relationships, and work on various communications projects.
The class of 2011 hung on to the edge of their seats as this young man who has been on the cutting edge of global communications and who has literally changed the way we interact with one another, encouraged his listeners to manufacture opportunity, and to understand that creativity is a “renewable resource.”
You should use it over and over. Twitter’s co-founder urged the newly minted grads to have the courage to “fail spectacularly” on their personal road to success, and to understand that empathy and altruism don’t require that you first have great financial success to participate. Every act of philanthropy brings its rewards, and sometimes small gestures bring the most to those who contribute.
“It’s official — Dr. Biz Stone is in da house!”
- Biz Stone, Babson College Commencement 2011
And while it might have been more compelling to talk about Twitter’s valuation and its ability to fulfill venture capitalists’ goals to generate enormous profits, when presented with an honorary Doctor of Law, Stone truly seemed delighted. Realizing a boyhood dream and armed with a degree from the country’s number one school in entrepreneurship, Biz Stone proudly left Babson commencement to the sounds of a standing ovation and the clicking of tweets!
- Four Stories, Four Lessons: Babson College Commencement Speech by Biz Stone | Bostinnovation: Boston Innovation, Start-ups and Tech News
- 4 Lessons from Biz Stone’s Babson Commencement Speech | Small Business Social Media Blog
- Babson gets down to Biz-ness - BostonHerald.com
- Twitter Co-founder Led Grad Ceremony – In Charge – WSJ
- Twitter co-founder Biz Stone delivers keynote address at Capital Connection – The Washington Post
- Twitter’s Stone talks lax, book design, German film | Washington Business Journal
- Former Patriot wins biz plan competition (boston.com)
- Redeemr, Inc. and SkyCrepers, LLC Win Babson College $100,000+ Business Plan Competitions (prnewswire.com)
- Commencement Speakers to Inspire, Rile (usnews.com)
- Babson Awards $75K to SF Entrepreneurs (xconomy.com)
Filed under: Babson College, Boston, Boston Business, boston celebrities, Boston Real Estate, Business, education, Finance, innovation, media, Metrowest, metrowest business, metrowest education, metrowest real estate, metrowest schools, MetWest, Natick Real Estate, Needham Real Estate, News, pop culture, Real Estate, South Natick Real Estate, technology, The MetWest Scene, Top Metrowest Real Estate Agent, Twitter, World Business Leaders Tagged: | 2011 graduates, Babson alum, Babson College, babson commencement, Babson Commencement Speech, Babson grads, Biz Stone, blogging platforms, boston colleges, BostonKayakGuy, education, entrepreneurship, John Prescott, metrowest schools, microblogging, social media, Top Metrowest Real Estate Agent, Top Wellesley Real Estate Agent, Twitter co-founder Biz Stone, Wellesley, Wellesley Real Estate